Newcastle Benfield 4 Northallerton Town 3 Match report

Newcastle Benfield 4 Northallerton Town 3
Saturday 12th October 2019

Newcastle Benfield secured a dramatic victory over Northallerton Town on Saturday but made life difficult for themselves having to come back from 2-0 and 3-2 down.

With Northallerton coming to Tyneside propping up the first division table, Benfield would have fancied their chances of collecting all 3 points beforehand but they were made to work extremely hard for them by a well organised town team and had to do so without the injured Paul Brayson.

Benfield started brightly as good work from Giraud to find Glen-Ravenhill almost created an opening but Northallerton were able to clear their lines.

On 10 minutes, Northallerton were to take the lead as scrappy defending from a corner allowed Charlie Graham to head home past Andrew Grainger.

Lewis Scorgie in his 2nd full game back since his long term injury was looking particularly commanding at the back for Benfield winning some crucial interceptions. It was Scorgie who after a commanding run out from the back set up Glen-Ravenhill but his effort went over the bar and was also Scorgie who forced Northallerton keeper Dawson to tip the ball onto the post after a fine header.

It was looking like only a matter of time before Benfield equalised with Giraud and Kurtis Russell both looking lively. However,  Northallerton were to double their lead in the 29th minute against the run of play as Connor Lowes was able to chip an effort over Grainger from the edge of the area.

Within 6 minutes Benfield were given a route back into the contest. A fine ball forward from Novak released Dennis Knight who was hauled down for an obvious penalty. Knight stepped up to half the arrears with a great finish.

On 43 minutes Benfield were level after a fine pass from Knight released Glen-Ravenhill who calmly stroked home the equaliser.

Having completed the turnaround just before half time, the Lions were unbelievably 3-2 down straight after the interval as a free header allowed Jack Procter to give our visitors something to hold onto again in the 47th minute. Benfield were still very much threatening but were certainly not making things easy for themselves.

However, in the 69th minute, the Novak/Knight combination struck again as a fine cross from the left was headed home from a tight angle by Knight. At 3-3, Benfield now needed to keep defensively disciplined as they sought a winner. Thankfully it was only 3 minutes later when the lads found themselves 4-3 up as that man Knight completed a fine hat trick as he cut in front of his man to fire past Dawson.

In the 76th minute Mark Turnbull became the first Benfield player to be sin binned for 10 minutes but the Benfield back line was looking much more watertight by now and the team coped well enough with a man less.

Northallerton were to have the ball in the net deep into stoppage time but it was clear for all to see that a very early offside flag had been raised. This was to be the last action as moments later the full time whistle went.

Hopefully those present, including members of the Non League Society enjoyed themselves. A 4-3 is certainly a good advertisement for non league day which was celebrated throughout the UK. 

Man of the match was announced as Dennis Knight, which after a fine hat trick was richly deserved.

Final Score
Newcastle Benfield 4 Northallerton Town 3

Match report kev Larkham

Website/photos Steve Boyle

%d bloggers like this: