Jarrow Roofing

Newcastle Benfield 0

Jarrow Roofing 3

Knight 2

Campbell 1

This game was the first of three games in five days for Newcastle Benfield and the game got off to an explosive start with Roofing opening the scoring in the 2nd minute.The ball was played back to Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger who had plenty of time to clear the ball away but he dallied on the ball allowing DENNIS KNIGHT the opportunity to close him down and under pressure he hit the ball against the roofing midfielder who gained control of the ball and walked it into an empty net to make the score 1-0 to Jarrow Roofing.

Benfield had a chance to equalise in 8th minute, a brilliant pass from Mark Turnbull found Paul Brayson who after controlling the ball tried to chip the ball over the head of roofing keeper Dan Regan but only succeeded in chipping the ball into the keepers arms. At this stage it looked as if the home team were more likely to get a goal but their long ball policy was well defended by the visitors with the Benfield team not getting close enough to their front men to support them.

The 17th minute brought a good scoring chance for Benfield, a cross field pass from Rhys Evans found Jake Orrell, a strong run advancing into the Roofing penalty area saw him supported by two team mates but instead of squaring the ball into their path he decided to try to shoot at goal with his effort easily saved to the despair of his colleagues. Twenty one minutes had elapsed when another goal scoring chance went the way of the home team,Alex Nesbit who had recently returned after injury won a strong tackle in midfield before passing to Jake Orrell who then produced a pin point cross onto the head of Paul Brayson who saw his header well saved by Dan Regan in the roofing goal.

Play moved on past the half hour mark with the home team looking more likely to get a goal but they were hit with a sucker punch in the 34th minute, a long ball down the middle from Shaun Vipond looked like an easy clearance for Benfield captain Mark Turnbull,unusually for him he completely missed the ball allowing Ex Benfield striker JOHN CAMPBELLa free run in on goal easily putting the ball past Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger to make the score 2-0 to Jarrow Roofing. It could have been worse for  the home team two minutes later when Dennis Knight got on the end of a Benfield clearance from a near post corner,controlling the ball he advanced forward to hit a left foot shot which crashed off the Benfield post and away to safety. That was the end of any goal scoring chances in the first half and this left the score 2-0 to Jarrow Roofing at half time.

The second half as in the first half produced some excellent play in the second minute of the half after a brilliant run by Josh Scott saw him outpace the roofing defence before his run was ended with Benfield getting a corner. With 4 minutes of the second half passing great play down the Benfield right by the roofing saw the ball pulled back to Paul Gardiner who had his effort well saved by Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger.

Play for the next fifteen minutes was pretty even but in the 57th minute a long cross field pass by Jake Orrell found Jack Devlin who saw his well struck shot well saved  by Dan Regan. In the 68th minute Benfield conceded a third goal,scorer of the first goal DENNIS KNIGHT gained possession out on the Benfield right wing with the Benfield defence allowing him to cut in on his favoured left foot driving the ball low past Andrew Grainger in the Benfield goal making it 3-0 to Jarrow Roofing.

Time was running out for the home team but only a good save by the roofers keeper Dan Regan denied Benfield a goal, Scott McCarthy after he was played in by James Martin who delivered a pass to Ritchie Slaughter who saw his shot well  saved by the Jarrow Roofing goalkeeper.

The 78th minute brought a goal scoring chance for Benfield, they won a free kick after a foul by roofing captain Shaun Vipond for which he was yellow carded, from the dead ball kick Regan in the Roofers goal made another good save with the ball rebounding away to see the visitors concede another free kick which was not to the liking of Roofers captain who let the referee know what he thought of his decision giving him a mouthful of expletives and ending with him receiving a second yellow adding up to a red and ending his part of the game for him by his sending reducing the visitors to ten men.

Although Benfield possibly had a better second half than the visitors overall  Jarrow Roofing were the better team and won with the final whistle leaving the score at 3-0 to the Roofers.

It was difficult to pick the best Newcastle Benfield player as it was a poor performance by the home team but my selection is

                                                           M.O.M…..RHYS EVANS

Match Report -Allan young

Photos/website -Steve Boyle

%d bloggers like this: