Ryhope CW Newcastle Benfield

Tuesday 21st November 2017

kick off 730pm

Ryhope Cw 2

Newcastle Benfield 1

The match was a typical Northern League game that unfortunately we couldn’t get to grips with…having said that we deserved at least a draw but a bit of nieve play with our young squad pushing for a winner left us open for them to grab a late winner!

I have no doubt we will bounce back Saturday will all three points.

Tough game, I thought Ryhope were the better team for the first 20 minutes then we came into it, our passing got better and we started causing them problems.

In the second half we started stronger and looked more dangerous and when we got it back to 1-1 I thought there was only going to be one winner, but we started running with the ball too much and made the wrong decisions which eventually cost us as we got hit with the sucker punch in the last minute.

In relation to my goal I always stand behind the defence especially with the assistance of the wind and it paid off last night.

The  second Wearside opponents in less than a week were the opponents in the shape of Ryhope C.W. who were above Benfield in the league so a tough game was envisaged.

The first real shooting chance of the half went to Benfield in the 6th minute, a fine cross field pass from Luke Carr found Paul Brayson who after controlling the ball hit a firm shot which was well saved by Johnathan Ball who parried the ball and recovered quickly to dive on top of the ball smothering it and denying Benfield the opening goal.

That was  as good as it got for Benfield in an attacking sense for twenty five minutes, it was all Ryhope until then,in the11th minute they had a throw in which found James Ellis who proceeded to hit a dangerous cross into the Benfield penalty area which keeper Andrew Grainger did well to gather the ball.

The 14th minute saw a strong 20yard drive by Thomas Bott which took the Benfield custodion two attempts to keep the ball out of his goal. Although Grainger had been busy and  had made a couple of saves he had no chance in the18th minute, NATHANIEL SKIDMONE gained possession thirty yards out and advanced forward to crash as hot into the top corner of the Benfield goal which would have flown in if there had been three keepers trying to save it, making the score deservedly 1-0 to Ryhope.

Two Minutes later Ryhope had a glorious opportunity to double their lead when Jon Mellish was judged to have fouled Josh Home- Jackson in the Benfield penalty area with the  referee pointing to the spot for a penalty. Up stepped Home-Jackson to take the kick which he skied high over the cross bar leaving the score at 1-0 to Ryhope.

It was the home team who were in command and on two occasions down the Benfield right they made the Benfield defence work hard to clear two top draw dangerous crosses.

At last Benfield came into the game in the 28th minute,a good dribble down the right flank by Luke Carr saw him play the ball to Paul Brayson with Brassy seeing his left foot shot well saved by Ball in the Ryhope goal.

Benfield were starting to get back into the game in an attacking sense and came close to scoring in the 35th minute,a cross field pass  from Dylan McEvoy found Scott McCarthy who advanced to strike a well hit left foot shot but Ball was up to the task again making a save.

Newcastle Benfield

despite having few scoring chances should have equalised in the 38th minute, a four man move started by James Novak

involving McCarthy who played Brayson in, a terrific cross to the far post found the roving Joe Hailes who should have done better than putting the ball wide leaving the score at 1-0 which it was  at halftime.

It took ten minutes of  the second half before anything worth reporting occured, a Benfield free kick out on the left taken by James Novak found Luke Carr who although hitting the  target found Ryhope keeper Johnathan Ball up to the task of saving well at the second attempt.

Although play was fairly even you could see that Benfield were starting to come more and more into the game and they did in the 69th minute get an equalising goal.

A long goal kick taken by Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger flew directly to the feet of PAUL BRAYSON, with Ryhope appealing for offside which you can’t be from a goal kick the Benfield striker advanced to delicately dink the ball over the advancing Johnathan Ball to make the score 1-1.

Four minutes later in the 28th minute Benfield substitute Ryu Williamson advanced down the left flank to deliver two dangerous crosses which were well defended to safety, the  Benfield substitute then linked  up with Jake Orrell

who put in a great cross which was put wide of the goal by Joe Hailes when he should score although it was a slightly more  difficult chance as the Benfield winger  was at full stretch

Time was  running out and it looked as if  both teams were settling for a 1-1 draw but it was not to be, Liam Hudson

lost control of the ball in mid field allowing James Ellis time          to cross the ball to the far post where Coney Nicholson rose to head the ball home to make the score 2-1 to Ryhope C.A.which was the final score.



Match report Allan Young

Who celebrated his Birthday with a Benfield Loss. Sorry Allan.

%d bloggers like this: