Fa Vase

Bedlington Terriers 0

Newcastle Benfield 3

After a Northumberland senior cup match against near neighbours Alnwick Town another cup match was on the agenda with local rivals Bedlington Terriers being the hosts.

Being the 11th of the 11th a minutes silence was observed in a truly impeccable manner by all who attended for those who had fallen in previous wars.



 The game was pretty even with each team trying out each other but no goalmouth action of any concern to either team occurred, then in the16th minute a goal happened.

Newcastle Benfield were awarded a free kick out on the left, a good save by Terriers keeper David Stewart saw him push the ball round the post for a corner to the Lions.

In a well rehearsed move by Newcastle Benfield the corner was taken by Paul Brayson who instead of playing the ball into the Bedlington penalty area played it just outside the area into the path of  DYLAN McEVOY

who doesn’t score tap in goals and his left foot shot flew into the top corner of the net in an identical manner to when Benfield scored the winner at Pickering Town. This made the score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

Within five minutes Newcastle Benfield had doubled their lead, a ball down the line from Mark Turnbull found Joe Hales who had been the stand out player for Benfield and  the  young winger produced a delicious back heel into the path of  JAKE ORREL

who proceeded to roll the ball into the net to make the score 2-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

The Terriers although being behind were still trying hard with Ian Herron (FISHY) being prominent in everything good that Bedlington did.

Within a minute of the second Benfield goal top goal scorer Paul Brayson

tried an audacious shot from 50yards which just cleared the Bedlington cross bar,


was again involved in the next move with Joe Hailes; after excellent inter play a brilliant cross was intercepted by Peter Henderson who did well defending for a corner.

Time was ebbing towards half time with good shooting chances for both teams, in the 43rd minute the Terriers lost possession of the ball on the half way line, Benfield captain Mark Turnbull took control and played a fine pass to Scott McCarthy

who saw his strong shot well saved by David  Stewart.

It was the turn of Benfield custodion Andrew Grainger to show his prowess making a good save from Jack Foalle. In the final minute of the half  Pat Gibbons should have done better with a counter attack after Benfield had lost possession of the ball,after going clear of the Benfield back four he produced a poor effort hitting the ball high over the bar, this left the score at half time 2-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

Only four minutes had elapsed when Newcastle Benfield were very unlucky not to add a third goal to their tally, a slow build up involving Joe Hailes and Jake Orrell saw the latter pull the ball back into the path of  Paul Brayson who instantly crashed a shot which flew back off  the post away to safety.

Despite being two goals down Bedlington had not given up and they came close to scoring on the hour mark, a long pass out of defence found the dangerous Jack Foalle who released a strong shot on target making Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger produce a  fine save and recovering quickly to clear the ball away out of danger.

Benfield had a second escape in the 65th minute, a ball down the left found Jack Foalle ,the Bedlington striker then put in a brilliant low cross that was inches away from being put into net by the lunging Zak Atkinson and a lucky escape for the visitors.

Newcastle Benfield introduced substitute Liam Hudson

in the 69th minute and he nearly got a third goal for Benfield with his first touch, collecting the ball from Dylan McEvoy he advanced to hit a low 20 yard drive which brought a good save out of David Stewart in the Terriers goal for a corner.

Zak Atkinson had a shooting chance in the 73rd minute when a long throw was headed out of the Benfield penalty area to the Bedlington striker but his effort lacked power giving Grainger a comfortable save leaving the score 2-0.Half the crowd thought that Benfield had scored a third goal in the 82nd minute, it looked to spectators sitting down in the far stand that they had observed Paul Brayson dinking the ball over Bedlingtons keeper after receiving the ball down the left channel but while a cheer went up the ball had

actually hit the side netting.

Full time was approaching with Benfield looking more likely to add to their score rather than concede and in the 84th minute the visitors again went close to adding to their score; they were only denied another goal after excellent defending from Kyle Dobson who stopped Joe Hales after he had put a well constructed move together with Paul Brayson.

Not to be denied however Newcastle Benfield eventually got their third goal in the 85th minute,after winning a corner taken by Paul Brayson; LEWIS SCORGIE for the second game in a row rose to head the ball home,

this was from inside the Bedlington six yard box to make the score 3-0 to Newcastle Benfield which was the score at fulltime.

Newcastle Benfield now progress into the 3rd round which will be drawn on Monday morning.

M.O.M……..There were many people who could have been man of the match with all the Benfield defenders doing well but for his terrific work rate,attitude and brilliant back heel for Newcastle Benfields second goal,          



A very good team performance on a difficult pitch. Fair play to Bedlington but I thought it was a really comfortable win.

Follow the Lions

Special thanks to Allan Young for today’s Match Report

And Cameraman Callum Boyle for the photos and coverage

%d bloggers like this: