Crook Town-League Cup

Crook Town 1

(Stephenson 1)

Newcastle Benfield 5

(Brayson 3 Mccarthy 2)

After being beaten by Stockton in their last game Newcastle Benfield were hoping to get back on a winning track in a league cup match against Crook Town.

Crook almost opened the scoring in the 2nd  minute when a pass back by Jack Errington to Andrew Grainger saw the Benfield custodion take a fresh air swipe at the ball, fortunately for him the ball didn’t reach the open goal .

It was five minutes later when the opening goal came and it went the way of the visitors,a fine through ball from Dylan McEvoy gave SCOTT McCARTHY the chance to advance and go around the Crook keeper Dan Scott before confidently shooting the ball into an empty net making the score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

McCarthy was in the thick of things again two minutes later combining with Ryu Williamson to put over a low dangerous cross into the centre just cleared away by Ethan Harker. The Benfield striker was proving to be handful for the Crook defence who were indebted to their keeper Dan Scott in the11th minute when he made a good save from a left foot shot by McCarthy after he was played in by Paul Brayson.

Crook got back on level terms in the 23rd minute,the ball was played up to Bryan Wood who despite being marked made a smart turn to make space for himself to shoot getting a corner for his effort. From the corner which was floated to the far post MATTHEW STEVENSON timed his run to perfection to plant a firm header into the Benfield net for an equalising goal making the score  1-1.

The score only remained on level terms for three minutes as in the 26th minute Benfield retook the lead, the ball was played down the left channel to Paul Brayson, the Benfield poacher advanced to the by line before producing a delightful left foot chip into the centre leaving SCOTT McCARTHY to head home  from four yards making the score 2-1 to Newcastle Benfield.

Provider should have been goal scorer in the 28th minute interplay between Ryu Williamson who crossed the ball to McCarthy he in turn played Brassy in but the keeper saved his effort when he should have scored.

Since their goal little had been seen of Crook in an attacking sense and they could have been three down in the 31st minute;Paul Brayson passed the ball to danger man Scott McCarthy out on the wing, he then advanced cutting in from the right wing beating two Crook defenders in the process before shooting past the Crook keeper only to see his shot hit the post and rebound to safety denying him a first half hat trick.

With 35 minutes gone Crook came close to getting a goal back,the ball was floated into the Benfield penalty area and was met by the head of the Crook goalscorer Matthew Stephenson but this time his header just cleared the Benfield cross bar and away to safety.

Half time duly arrived with no further real action from either side leaving the score 2-1 to Newcastle Benfield at the interval.

Only two minutes of the second half had gone when another goal was scored and it went again to Benfield, interplay involving goal scorer Scott McCarthy and  PAUL BRAYSON saw fine control from the latter giving him space to plant the ball past the Crook keeper making it 3-1 to Newcastle Benfield.

Ryu Williamson should have increased the visitors lead in the 59th minute, a good move down the right saw a pass from Mark Turnbull find Williamson but his  effort was weak allowing Scott to make an easy save.

Just when everyone was saying that nothing was being seen up front for Crook they nearly sneaked a second goal when Crook’s best player on the night Dan Smith cut in and shot just wide of the Benfield post leaving the score at 3-1.

Crook had a bit of bad luck in the75th minute when they had to replace their keeper Daniel Scott who was injured bravely diving at the feet of Scott McCarthy.

Unfortunately for Crook the substitute keeper was at fault for the Benfield fourth goal, Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger collected a cross and produced a massive throw down the middle of the pitch


would get on the end of it; the keeper came flying out completely missing the ball allowing the Benfield talisman a chance he was never going to miss which he didn’t rolling the ball into an empty net making it 4-1 to Newcastle Benfield.

Ten minutes remained when excellent passing between Joe Hailes and Ritchie Slaughter

set up Brayson for what would have been his third goal but his goal bound shot was deflected for a corner. Time was running out and Crook were completely deflated in the 88th minute when Newcastle Benfield got a fifth goal, another combination involving the previous three saw an excellent move rounded off by PAUL BRAYSON who saw his shot go in off the post making the score  5-1 to Newcastle Benfield and his own personnel hat trick.

That was the final score with the Lions progressing to the second round.


Match report by Allan Young

%d bloggers like this: