Match report v Whitley Bay


Newcastle Benfield were playing Whitley bay for the second time in 7 days but it was points that were up for grab rather than the chance to progress in the F.A. Cup. It was Benfield who had advanced to the next round so revenge for their defeat was on the Whitley Bay agenda. It looked as early as the 5th minute that Whitley would open the scoring when a break out of defence by Peter Glen-Ravenhill ended with a fantastic tackle by Marc Dummett who somehow won the ball without giving away a penalty clearing to safety. With twelve minutes gone it should have been the home team who opened the scoring, when brilliant interplay between the Benfield strikers Brayson and Campbell saw the former put newly returned Liam Hudson in with a great chance but he put a very poor effort high over the bar. Two minutes later and Whitley were unfortunate not to open the scoring, excellent play involving three Whitley players ended when Dummett cleared the ball to safety after it was bobbling around the Benfield six yard box. The visitors were controlling the game and playing excellent football, and in the 18th minute they again came close to getting a goal, a long cross to the far post by Aiden Haley saw the ball headed out by Matty Grieve, the ball however fell to Thibault Charmey 25 yards out, he hit a strong volley just wide of the goal.

Newcastle Benfield had handed a home debut to goalkeeper Dan Nimmons, who was outstanding in his actual debut the Tuesday previous in the convincing victory at Newton Aycliffe where he was given the Man of the Match award. He had to be at his best in the 24th minute, when a cross field pass found Alex Kempster who advanced to hit a strong left foot shot with the Benfield custodian saving at the expense of a corner. The opening goal came in the 27th minute and deservedly went to Whitley Bay, a cross from the right was half cleared away to Glen- Ravenhill who combined with Potter to cause confusion in the Benfield penalty area with the ball being half cleared before falling to ALEX KEMPSTER who drove a right foot shot home making the score 1-0 to Whitley Bay.

The home team had a presentable scoring chance in the 31st minute after Scott McCarthy passed to Ritchie Slaughter; in return he passed to John Campbell who turned to hit a shot over the bar. Scott McCarthy was involved again in the 39th minute when, after a strong run down the right, he saw his effort just clear the Whitley Bay cross bar. Within a minute Whitley Bay got their second goal, Ravenhill progressed down the Benfield left putting in a fine cross to the far post which was met by the head of TOM POTTER heading the ball into the net making the score 2-0 to Whitley which it was at half time.

Newcastle had the first scoring chance after the break in the 4th minute of the second half, after a great cross from Liam Hudson found Benfield striker John Campbell, but unusually for John he miscontrolled the ball which was cleared to safety. Within another four minutes only good defending by James Novak denied goal scorer Tom Potter from getting a third for the visitors. The next chance again went the way of Whitley bay, Scott Jasper advanced forward and was just about to shoot when Marc Dummet again came to the Benfield rescue with a fine hook tackle cleanly clearing the ball away. Peter Glen-Ravenhill who was playing well for his team was really unlucky not to get on the score sheet, receiving the ball 30yards out he advanced forward to hit a fine strike which crashed off the Benfield crossbar away to safety. Newcastle Benfield keeper Dan Nimmins was certainly not letting the occasion get to him and in the 60th minute he showed his ability, bringing off a fine save after brilliant play by Glen-Ravenhill set up Alex Kempster. It didn’t take long however for ALEX KEMPSTER to get his second goal and Whitley Bay’s third; a long cross from the left found Scott Jasper who was unfortunate to see his shot hit the Benfield cross bar. His team mate was the first to react however and hit a low drive into the Benfield net making it 3-0 to Whitley Bay.

Whitley goal keeper Tom Flynn who although not having to make any great saves was doing really well in collecting and punching crosses away to safety, though he had his first real save of the second half in the 65th minute producing a fine save from a 20 yard shot from Benfield’s Alex Nisbet. It didn’t take Whitley long to get their fourth goal of the game in the 67th minute. Initially appeals for a penalty came when a headed clearance found the arm of a Benfield defender, and though the referee gave nothing, the everalert THIBAULT CHARMEY hit the rebound home to make the score 4-0 to Whitley Bay.

Newcastle Benfield did eventually get on the score sheet in the 71st minute. PAUL BRAYSON controlled the ball 30 yards out and with the Bay defenders retreating, he advanced to hit a low drive past the outstretched fingertips of Tom Flynn to make the score 4-1 to Whitley Bay.

In a late attacking surge from Newcastle Benfield, the home team could have got back in the game to the extent that a point would have been a reasonable expectation given the quality of attacking efforts and endeavours. However Whitley Bay were indebted to their keeper for bringing off two great saves. The first in the 76th minute came when Benfield were awarded a free kick 25 yards from goal; up stepped John Campbell to hammer a low drive goal wards only for Flynn to produce a fabulous save. Then again in the 78th minute good link up play involved Novak to Campbell to Brayson who then played in Benfield substitute Joe Hailes who brought out the best from the Whitley keeper with a stunning reflex parry from a thunderbolt of an effort. Singlehandedly, Flynn kept the score at 4-1 to Whitley Bay which was the final score.

Man of the Match: Dan Nimmins

%d bloggers like this: