Match report Newton Aycliffe

Newcastle Benfield were hoping to continue where they had left the previous Saturday when they enjoyed a fine victory over Whitley Bay in the F.A. Cup, after two successive defeats in their league matches. Andrew Grainger who was magnificent in the cup match was not available for this game due to holidays, but there was no need to panic as Dan Nimmins was available to make his debut and what a game he had.

Six minutes had elapsed when the first shooting chance of the game occurred, a terrific long diagonal pass from Newcastle Benfield mid field player Dylan McEvoy found Paul Brayson who then proceeded to control the ball and hit a left foot shot easily saved by Aycliffe keeper James Winter. Newton Aycliffe had a great chance to open the scoring in the 13th minute when new signing Kieran Duffy -Weekes was put through with a free run towards goa,l but his effort can only be described as hopeless as he struck his shot twenty yards wide.

The first opportunity for Benfield keeper Dan Nimmins to show his quality’s came in the 19th minute; a pass out of defence found Duffy-Weekes in on goal with his well struck effort bringing out a fine save from the Benfield custodian. A minute later and it was the visitors who came inches from opening the scoring, a strong run by Scott McCarthy down the right flank saw him advance a produce an excellent low driven cross just missed by John Campbell who flung himself at the ball just missing making contact on the ball.

The first goal of the game came in the 22nd minute; an excellent run down the wing by James Novak saw him drive in a low cross met by the left foot of SCOTT McCARTHY who saw his low drive flash into the bottom corner of the net making the score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

Although a goal down, the home team were still well in the game and after a good move in the 28th minute Jamie Davis took possession to let fly at the Benfield goal only to see Nimmins bring off another fine save. Play was then pretty even for the next fifteen minutes or so until the 41st minute when a scintillating run from Newton Aycliffe’s Stuart Banks produced a chance. He advanced forward beating three Benfield defenders before letting fly at the Benfield goal only to be denied by the diving Dan Nimmins who produced the best of three fine saves keeping the Lions ahead. These saves proved to vital for Benfield and to rub salt into the wound the visitors added a second with only a minute of the first half left, Mark Turnbull played a pass down the right wing to John Campbell who then drove forward into the Aycliffe penalty area producing a low cross into the six-yard box and surprise surprise who should be their but PAUL BRAYSON to hit the ball home from three yards making it 2-0 to Benfield which it was at halftime.

Only two minutes of the half had gone when Alan Harrison for Aycliffe produced the miss of the season so far, he went on a fine run to play a 1/2 with team mate Jack Oliver who played a perfect weighted pass into his team mate who then hit what can only be described as an atrocious shot hitting it twenty yards wide of the Benfield goal. The home team could have been made to rue that miss as two minutes later only a good save from James Winter in the

Aycliffe goal who palmed the ball away stopping Brassy from getting a second goal. The visitors  were  starting to get more of the play in an attacking sense and were unfortunate not to get third goal in the 52nd  minute, the ball was won in mid field and passed onto Scott McCarthy, advancing forward he released a shot from 25 yards which crashed off the cross bar and away to safety.

The third goal of the game came in the 64th minute and it again went to Newcastle Benfield; an in swinging corner out on the right saw Dylan McEvoy float a ball to the far post for LEWIS SCORGIE to rise and place a firm header into the Newton Aycliffe net making it 3-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

Credit must be given to the home team who never gave up despite being three goals down. They put together a fine move involving Paul Weldon and Kurt Matthews, the ball was played down the line to Matthews who after controlling the ball arrowed a shot into the near post to again see that the Benfield stopper Dan Nimmins was up to the challenge confidently dealing with the shot pushing it for a corner.

Twenty-five minutes of the second half had gone with Benfield under no real threat of conceding and in fact they added to their tally. Steady build up play involving Paul Brayson and substitute Stephen Bowey saw the ball played to ALEX NISBET 35 yards from goal; the Benfield midfielder advanced forward and he then hit a low left foot missile into the bottom corner of the net from 30 yards for his first goal for the club giving James Winter no chance of saving it making the score 4-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

With the clock showing that seventy-three minutes had gone in the second half Aycliffe were awarded a very controversial penalty for alleged hand ball against Lewis Scorgie. For those who were present at last season’s game against South Shields and saw Brassie put his effort high out of the ground this penalty taken by Stuart Banks was so high into the car park it made Brassies look like a low drive. A fifth goal for Benfield came close in the 78th minute, Lewis Scorgie got possession and advanced forward to play in Paul Brayson who saw a strong shot well saved for a corner by James Winter. With five minutes left Newton Aycliffe got a consolation goal, a cross from Alan Harrison found the head of substitute MATTY PENNAL, rising well he planted a good firm header past Dan Nimmins to make it 4-1 to Newcastle Benfield which it was at full time.

Man of the Match:

Dan Nimmins

Match report

AllanYoung/Ian Cusack

Video coverage

Steve Boyle

%d bloggers like this: