Bishops 4-4 match report

There were goals galore at Bishop Auckland in one of only 3 matches played due to heavy rain. The pitch at Bishops was in magnificent condition considering the rainfall and a great deal of thanks and congratulations must go to the staff and volunteers who managed to get game on against all odds.

The first shot of the game came in the 6th minute when Benfield’s Tom McNamee won the ball in mid field before playing in Dylan McEvoy, in turn the young midfielder passed to Josh Scott who struck a fine drive which went inches over the bar. The fifteen minute mark arrived and only a strong block by the visitors Lewis Scorgie denied top striker Andrew Johnson from getting on the score sheet, this came after ex loanee to Newcastle Benfield Ryu Williamson controlled the ball before putting in a dangerous cross to Johnson. Newcastle Benfield gave a debut to new signing from Washington Dan Mullen, in place of regular keeper Andrew Grainger who was serving a one match suspension due to being sent off in a match against Morpeth. Mullen was called into action in the 28th minute, Bishops captain Jeff Smith played a well weighted  pass down the line to James Fairley, advancing towards the Benfield goal he hit a well struck effort bringing a good save out of the Benfield custodian.

The half hour mark brought a goal and it went to Newcastle Benfield. Josh Scott won the ball and passed to Paul Brayson, Brassy then squared the ball into DYLAN McEVOY who after controlling the ball with his right foot transferred the ball to his left and hit a screamer past ex Benfield keeper Scott Pocklington to make the score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield. There was a good response by the home team five minutes later, a strong breakaway by Bishops James Fairley ended when Lewis Scorgie produced another fine block, the ball rebounded to Ryu Williamson who saw his effort well saved by the Benfield keeper Dan Mullen. Half time was approaching with a minute of the half left, the crowd must have thought that Benfield’s first goal was good but the second was better, Tom McNamee who was impressing in mid field won another tackle, moving the ball Cornish; the ball was then moved onto Paul Brayson. It was then rolled back to MATTY CORNISH who creamed it into the top corner of the net giving Scott Pocklington no chance of saving making it 2-0 to Newcastle Benfield which was the score at half time.

Only one minute of the second half had been played when Bishops thought that they had scored, a pass down the wing to Ryu Williamson who produced a cross to the far post which was met by Andrew Johnson; it gave him a great scoring chance but he only half hit his shot allowing Dan Mullen the chance to dive on top of the ball. With the Bishops striker appealing for a goal the referee looked towards his linesman and with his colleague confirming that the ball hadn’t crossed the line no goal was allowed. It was the turn of the Bishops goal keeper Scott Pocklington to show his quality in the 48th minute. Moussa Bakhti found John Campbell who had come on at half time for Benfield replacing Scott McCarthy who was feeling under the weather. Campbell then rolled the ball to Josh Scott who advanced forward to hit a fine shot bringing a great save out of the keeper for a corner. Ten minutes later Bishop came close to opening their goal account. Ryu Williamson gained possession twenty yards out and hit a strong shot well saved by Dan Mullen, which rebounded back out to Sam Orritt who also saw his shot saved, but the ball looked as if the ball was going into the goal only for Lewis Scorgie to pop up and clear the ball away to safety, leaving the score 2-0 to Benfield.

The game then turned into a goal fest with an amazing spate of six goals in twelve minutes; from being two goals down Bishop Auckland were suddenly level with goals in the 66th and 68th minutes. The first came when LEON CARLING hit a long range drive which shot off the surface surprising Mullen in the Benfield goal making it 2-1.The second goal came after a poor Benfield clearance gave the ball away to JAMES FAIRLEY who shot at goal with the ball taking a wicked deflection wrong footing the Benfield keeper, levelling the score at 2-2. Amazingly Bishop Auckland went from being two goals down to a goal up within a five minute spell, as in the 71st minute a ball was passed down the Benfield right flank with Priestley Griffiths attempting to cross the ball but a well-timed tackle by Lewis Scorgie sent the ball out for a corner. It was Griffiths who took the corner and to the dismay of the Benfield players the ball hit Benfield defender MARC DUMMETT going into the net for a third Bishops goal, making it 3-2. The goals were now flying in and the home team went from two down to two up, when in the 74th minute ex Benfield player MICHAEL HOGANSON took a free kick from thirty yards out; although it was a well hit shot it took a deflection off the defensive wall completely wrong footing Benfield keeper Dan Mullen and finishing up in the net making it 4-2 to Bishops.

Newcastle Benfield were now really up against it with not a lot of time left and two goals down, they were however handed a lifeline in the 78th minute with a mistake by Bishops keeper Scott Pocklington. Benfield fullback MARK TURNBULL was way out on the Benfield right wing, he put over a cross which was misjudged by the Bishops custodian floating over his head and into the top corner of the net making it 4-3. Preistley Griffiths was prominent in the in the 81st minute, receiving the ball out on the left wing he went past two Benfield defenders with ease before shooting inches over the Benfield cross bar. Only six minutes remained of the game and surely there could be no more goals after the flurry that had occurred but there was. Josh Scott the Benfield winger who had been prominent in a lot of good play went on a run going past three defenders showing good strong protection of the ball before playing in John Campbell, who crossed the ball which hit BEN RIDING deflecting into the goal for the second O.G. of the game, wrong footing Scott Pocklington in the Bishops’ goal. The game came to a close at 4-4 with both teams having shown a strong character as they had both come from two goals down to end up on level terms having fully entertained the crowd.