Marske match report


A long drive up from Teeside was not what our opponents today Marske United would have enjoyed on a Wednesday evening. The journey was made worse for them on account of the roadworks over on the south side of the river then the nightmare snarl-up that is Silverlink. However, they probably enjoyed the trip up more than the return leg, after Newcastle Benfield inflicted a nightmare result on the visitors. Matches between both teams usually provide plenty of goals; two years ago they played out a pulsating 3-3, but the home team were looking to reverse last season’s home defeat, ironically by the score of 4-1.

The match had only gone on for five minutes when Marske keeper Robert Dean brought off a fine save from a well struck twenty five yard free kick taken by Paul Brayson. A minute later hesitation by Benfield defender Marc Dummett created fear in the Benfield defence when he tried to control the ball rather than clear away to safety; this put pressure on his team mates but in the end he cleared the ball away. In a manner similar to his free kick in the 5th minute Paul Brayson was really unlucky in his second effort with the ball crashing off the post to safety with the Marske keeper rooted to the spot.

Within two minutes PAUL BRAYSON had opened the scoring; with Marske appealing for a free kick after a challenge by Dylan McEvoy on Glenn Butterworth, the ball came to the Benfield striker who turned quickly to hit a shot into the top of the net to make it 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield. Benfield almost got a second goal in the 20th minute. Newly signed Jack Devlin who was making his debut after transferring from North Shields sold a majestic dummy to Marske defender Wilf Dinsdale on the halfway line; he then advanced forward, out pacing Dinsdale who was trying to recover. Devlin then hit a well struck effort which was parried away by goalkeeper Dean into Brayson’s possession. The Benfield striker hit the target but the Marske keeper brought off an even better save keeping the score down to one goal.

In the 23rd minute Marske were given a debatable free kick on the edge of the Benfield penalty area but a poor effort cleared the cross ba[r this being the first of three similar awards to the visitors, all with the same ending of the ball flying high over the goal.

Although Benfield were leading, the game was pretty even with Marske far from being out of the game and in the 32nd minute it took a fine defensive header from the Benfield skipper Mark Turnbull to deny any opponents getting on the end of an excellent dangerous cross from Corey Nicholson. Within another minute Scott McCarthy did well to win the ball in midfield; he then passed the ball up to Jack Devlin who had looked lively on his debut. The young striker advanced before firing in a low drive which was pushed away for a corner.

From the corner Marske goal keeper Robert Dean brought off a fantastic save to deny a header from Dylan McEvoy doubling the the score.

Marske were looking dangerous from dead ball situations with two really tall defenders and one of them in the shape of Adam Wheatley should have done better in the 36th minute when he was given space for a free head at goal which he headed wide. Benfield were giving away some cheap free kicks and they gave one away in the 40th minute; this one was taken by Adam Wheatley but just like his colleagues before him,  he put the ball miles over the cross bar. The half was coming to an end when in the 42nd minute a neat build up involving Mark Turnbull and Jack Delvin resulted in a Benfield corner from which Lewis Scorgie should have done better, with his free header going over the bar, leaving the half time score 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

The first five minutes of the second half saw a missed chance and a goal. In the 46th minute Lewis Scorgie had another good chance to get a second goal for the home team; again it came from a corner with an even better chance to get his effort on target but just like the first effort he missed the target. Benfield were made to rue those two missed opportunities as in the 50th minute Marske got an equalising goal. A long ball down the middle looked like a bread and butter chance for Lewis Scorgie to clear the ball away, but he got a call from Marc Dummett and left the ball to his team mate. Dummet then hesitated, allowing ARRON RAMSBOTTOM the chance to gain possession of the ball and have a free run in on goal to coolly slide the ball past the Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger. Marske had a great chance to get a second goal in the 53rd minute, when a long pass out of the Marske defence by Glenn Butterworth saw the ball go over the top of a square Benfield defence thus giving Danny Earl a great chance to score his team’s second goal but he put in a weak attempt just lobbing the ball into the chest of the grateful Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger. In the next ten minutes Marske were putting pressure on the Benfield team in a possession sense, but were not really creating any real threats on the home team goal with Andrew Grainger just dealing with bread and butter stuff which you would expect any keeper to save.

Sixty five minutes had arrived on the clock when another goal occurred. Marske central defender Dale Mulligan had the ball in the centre circle, but unfortunately for his team mates he slipped, allowing debutant JACK DEVLIN the chance to run in on goal. He advanced in and saw Dean save his first effort but the ball rebounded back to him and with a slight deflection he hit the rebound into the net making the score 2-1 to Newcastle Benfield. As expected with a team of the quality of Marske they immediately hit back with Danny Earl providing Corey Nicholson with a shooting chance which produced a good save for a corner which came to nothing. leaving the score 2-1 to Benfield.

That save by Grainger proved to be a decisive moment as within a minute in the 68th Benfield got a third goal. Tom McNamee did well to win the ball in midfield; he then produced a slide rule pass through the Marske defence for Ryu Williamson to run onto. The flying winger raced through to see his effort on goal saved by Robert Dean with the ball shooting out to a very tight angle. Unfortunatley for Marske the ball fell into the grasps of PAUL BRAYSON who from a very tight angle managed to hit a low left foot shot into the goal to make the score 3-1 to Newcastle Benfield. You could see the heads of the Marske team drop as they thought that they had a chance at 2-1 but would struggle to breach the Benfield defence twice in order to get just a point. Seventy three minutes had gone by when a terrific run down the wing by Ryu Williamson saw him pull the ball back to Brayson who unusually for him had a fresh air shot. completely missing the ball.

Eighty minutes had arrived when poor defending by the Benfield defence allowed Corey Nicholson a good shooting chance but he was unable to beat the Benfield custodian Andrew Grainger. A minute later Marske were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position for the hosts but just like the previous four or five free kicks by his teammates, the shot by Curtis Round sailed high over the bar.

Newcastle Benfield then rubbed salt into the wound as with two minutes to go they added a fourth goal. Another debutant Matty Fisher put Tom McNamee in the clear with a fine pass. Advancing forward into the penalty area, he passed to PAUL BRAYSON who, after controlling the pass, crashed it past Robert Dean into the net for his hat trick and Newcastle Benfield’s fourth goal, which was the last goal of the game, leaving the final score a 4-1 victory to Newcastle Benfield.

Newcastle Benfield: Grainger, Turnbull, Bakhti, McNamee, Scorgie, Dummett, Williamson, McEvoy, McCarthy (Fisher), Devlin (Kanda), Brayson

Substitutes: Scott, Berhan, Tobin

Man of the Match:  Devlin


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s