Match report v Chester le street


Newly promoted, struggling Chester le Street were the visitors to Sam Smiths’ Park and found themselves under pressure in the first minute when a strong run down the flank by Josh Scott saw him produce a fine inviting cross to the far post but none of his team mates gambled on attacking the cross so a good opportunity was spurned. Six minutes had elapsed when it took a good block by Benfield’s Lewis Scorgie to prevent Michael Hepplewhite from opening the scoring from a well delivered free kick by Mark Pattinson.

It was all go in an attacking sense, mainly from the home team and Josh Scott almost got the first goal of the game when he made a dashing run from the halfway line outpacing two Chester defenders before being crowded out with ball going for a corner from which Tom McNamee headed just wide of the goal. Newcastle Benfield had a great chance to open the scoring in the 11th minute when referee Shane Sugden awarded the home team a penalty; it came after Scott McCarthy combined with Josh Scott, the ball was then passed to Paul Brayson who was fouled by Mark Pattison. Up stepped Paul Brayson who has a superb penalty scoring rate but to the despair of his team mates and supporters, hit the worst penalty ever seen at Sam Smith’s Park with the ball flying high over the goal and the net behind the goal. It came to rest somewhere close to Chillingham Road.

Chances seemed to be coming every two minutes. In the13th minute Chester’s keeper was called into action; a move down the left found Moussa Bakhti with the ball and his fine cross found Josh Scott who saw his well struck effort well saved by Jack Wilson the Chester custodian. It was the turn of the Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger to show off his attributes in the 15th minutes when he produced a brilliant save to deny Andrew Grant- Soulsby’s strong effort getting on the end of a corner from Pattison. Another excellent save from Chester keeper Jack Wilson came in the16th minute. Tom McNamee controlled the ball, he then proceeded on a strong run forward and despite being under pressure all the way from Soulsby managed to hit a strong left foot shot brilliantly pushed away to safety.

It was all Benfield at this stage in an attacking sense but they had not yet scored despite their dominance mainly due to keeper Jack Wilson. Twenty minutes had gone by when a brilliant cross from the right wing from Paul Brayson was only inches too high for the advancing Josh Scott but that chance was put to bed a minute later. Paul Brayson was set up and from only six yards he hit the post with the ball rebounding to Scott McCarthy who saw his shot saved by Wilson but the ball fell to JOSH SCOTT six yards out and he hit the ball in to the net making it 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

Around the half hour mark Benfield centre back Lewis Scorgie should have done better when he completely missed a driven corner from Scott. Although they were coming back into the game in a possession sense Chester Le Street never really looked like scoring or even giving Andrew Grainger in the Benfield goal any cause for concern.

Scott Mcarthy had a great chance to double the Benfield tally in the 33rd minute, after a mistake by the Chester captain Andrew Grant-Soulsby who miscontrolled the ball allowing McCarthy a free run in on goal. Despite being under no pressure the Benfield striker hit the post when it was easier to score.

A second goal was on the cards for the home team and it came in the 37th minute, a pass from the halfway line was played up to Paul Brayson who then laid it into the path of DYLAN McEVOY, after controlling the ball he hit a low left foot shot into the bottom corner of the net past Jack Wilson making the score 2-0 to Newcastle Benfield.

Two minutes later in the thirty ninth the visitors stunned the home team by getting a goal back. It came when a long ball out of defence was flicked on by Michael Hepplewhite with his header finding DOMINIC LAWS who hit a strong volley past the despairing dive of Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger to make the score 2-1 to Newcastle Benfield which it was at halftime.

Only five minutes of the second half had gone when Chester keeper Jack Wilson came again to the rescue of his team; a throw in from Turnbull found Brayson whose cute back heal found McCarthy. He immediately hit a first time shot which was again kept out by the keeper. Wilson didn’t have any chance in the 52nd minute when Benfield got the elusive third goal. Scott McCarthy collected the ball out on the left wing, showing a clean pair of heels to Chris Stephenson. Advancing to the goal line, he picked out team mate Tom McNamee, who then squared the ball to Paul Brayson to tap in from six yards, making it 3-1.

Benfield were starting to run rampant and on 54 minutes goal scorer Josh Scott should have done better when a through pass from Ryu Williamson gave him a free run in on goal leaving him 1on1 with the keeper but he hit his effort wide of the goal. The home team spurned another chance to score in the 56th minute a brilliant run down the left wing by top player Moussa Bakhti saw Josh Scott control the ball before he produced a superb cross into the path of Paul Brayson but to his dismay he put the ball wide from six yards.

Little had been seen from Chester- Le-Street forwards in the half as their defence had been trying to cope with the pace of the home team and had no chance of supporting their strikers leaving them isolated as they were being pushed further and further back by Benfield. It was the Jack Wilson show again in the 63rd minute when the keeper made a great save once again after a brilliant 40 yard pass from Dylan McEvoy found Ryu Williamson who saw his effort saved for a corner.

Benfield were in complete control of the game and should have been out of sight in the goal scoring stakes but they only had a two goal lead despite many chances and another came their way in the 70th minute, when Brayson held the ball up before passing to McEvoy who crossed the ball to the far post just evading the diving Josh Scott. With only ten minutes to go Benfield had another attempt on goal after a McEvoy cross found Scorgie but another decent save from Wilson quelled the danger.

In an isolated incident Chester-Le-St had an attack in the 85th minute; good play from goal scorer Dominic Laws saw him cut in from the left to hit a shot just over the bar. Time was running out for Chester but they should have gone another goal down in the last minute of the game, McCarthy and Williamson combined leaving the latter a free run in on goal but instead of shooting he tried to pass back to McCarthy when he had a free shot from which he should have scored. This left the final score 3-1 to Newcastle Benfield





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s