Match report

Padiham 1 Newcastle Benfield 2
Saturday 20th August 2016

Newcastle Benfield journeyed to Burnley for the FA Cup Preliminary Round tie and fared better than Liverpool did at Turf Moor, by defeating Padiham by a margin of 2-1, setting up a home tie in the first qualifying round against Bridlington Town.
It was an even contest for most of the game at The Arbories, with the Storks having the better of the opening part of the first half and Benfield finishing the half the stronger side, taking the lead in the 42nd minute when Padiham’s defence gave away a soft free kick on the edge of their own penalty area. Debutant Michael Coughlan curled the dead ball into the top corner of the Padiham net with home keeper Michael Donlon well beaten.
Reece Pearce got Padiham back on level terms with barely six minutes of the second half gone, but this scoreline lasted less than ten minutes as the visitors scored a second direct from a Paul Brayson taken free kick that caught home keeper Donlon wrong footed.
Padiham never really threatened a second equaliser until right at the death, when in time added on, a long range shot from Jordan Armstrong needed visiting keeper Andrew Grainger to tip the dipping ball over his own crossbar, and with virtually the last kick of the cup tie Grainger once again came to his side’s rescue with an acrobatic diving save to keep out a fierce shot from Sam Frith.
Newcastle Benfield: Grainger, Walker, Scott, McNamee, Tobin, Turnbull, Cornish (Convey), Coghlan (McCarthy), Brayson, Blackett, Baptist (Errington)
Substitutes: Trodd, Uddgren
Man of the Match: McNamee


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s