Match report

Newcastle Benfield 8 Alnwick Town 1
Saturday 10th September 2016

FA Cup favourites Newcastle Benfield unfortunately went out of the cup without a whimper but managed to get a little piece of street cred back gaining a good point against league title favourites Shildon drawing 0-0. The second chance to grace the twin towers soon came around a week later with Benfield playing Alnwick Town in the F.A.Vase.
The opening goal came as early as the third minute and went to the hosts, Moussa Bahkti who had an excellent game played a pass to Stephen Baptiste who in turn crossed onto the penalty spot finding the head of SCOTT McCARTHY who glanced the ball past the Alnwick keeper Sam Bouttell into the net to make it 1-0 to Newcastle Benfield. It was a great start for the home team and they came close to getting a second in the 6thminute, a good interchange of passes between Mark Turnbull and Paul Brayson saw the latter pass to Dylan McEvoy who hit a left foot shot just wide of the mark. Two minutes later a fantastic run from the half way line by Josh Scott saw him just run out of pitch and unable to get a cross in after beating four opposition players. Despite the possibility of being two down Alnwick put a good move together in the 10th minute when Liam Brooks controlled and turned quickly with the ball to shoot just wide of the Benfield far post.
Two minutes later Benfield did indeed get their second goal Mark Turnbull took a throw in to Stephen Baptiste, he then passed the ball square to DYLAN McEVOY who hit a low 20yard drive into the bottom corner of the net past the Alnwick keeper Sam Bouttell making it 2-0 to Benfield. With the good start from the home team any score could happen if the visitors’ heads dropped and it was worse for Alnwick eight minutes later when Benfield went three up. Moussa Bahkti passed the ball to Baptiste who crossed to find the head of SCOTT McCARTHY who saw his glancing header similar to his first goal flash past Bouttell in the Alnwick goal making it 3-0 to Newcastle Benfield. It could have been four a minute later when Gary Bailes dallied on the ball losing possession to Paul Brayson, a goal looked certain but Sam Bouttell in the Alnwick goal made a good save after the striker tried a subtle chip over him and he made another good save from the rebound for a corner.
With twenty seven minutes on the clock Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger had to be alert to make his first save of the game when he had to palm the ball for a corner after good control and a shot from Brent Aisbitt. In the 29th minute a slow build up allowed Liam Hudson a chance to shoot at goal bringing a good save out of Bouttell pushing it over the bar. Half time was approaching and the visitors were hoping it would be only three goals at the interval but they were soon disillusioned when Benfield got a fourth possibly putting the game out of their reach. After receiving the ball from Jack Errington, Liam Hudson went on a strong run down the right wing beating a defender before advancing to  the goal line to pull the ball back into the path of the advancing DYLAN McEVOY who calmly stroked the ball low into the Alnwick net for his  second goal making the score 4-0 to Benfield.
Despite the game being over unless there was going to be an almighty collapse by the hosts Alnwick did pull a goal back in the 46thminute and what a well worked move it was. A move involving three players finally saw an excellent pass from Josh Hay played into MATTHEW GRAHAM who finished nicely driving the ball past Benfield keeper Andrew Grainger making the score 4-1 which it was at half time.
As with all half time team talks the manager will tell you not to concede in the first few minutes but unfortunately for the visitors Alnwick Town did, a clever pass by Stephen Baptiste found Dylan McEvoy who advanced forward before rolling the ball to the edge of the Alnwick penalty area to find substitute MATTY CORNISH arriving to hit a first time drive past the diving Sam Bouttell and into the net making the score 5-1 to Benfield. It was all Benfield and Alnwick were just hoping to keep the score line respectable but they knew there would be more goals as their defence looked vulnerable on every attack from the Benfield attack. Five minutes later and it could have been six after another strong run down the wing from Josh Scott, he crossed the ball into Paul Brayson who then in turn pulled the ball back to substitute Meeshak Kanda with his strong drive hitting the post and rebounding back to Baptiste who saw his drive go just wide of the post.
Sixty three minutes had elapsed when Paul Brayson had control of the ball after an excellent move but just as he hit the ball Alnwick defender Jordan Giles made a great block on the shot clearing it away to safety. The visitors only had another five minutes of defending before conceding a sixth goal and it was possibly the move of the match, Jack Errington played a square pass to Stephen Baptiste who in turn played a terrific first time pass in to of Josh Scott, the Benfield winger then took off advancing to the by line before pulling the ball back into the feet of MEESHAK KANDA who hit the ball low into the net to make it 6-1 to Benfield.
The only thing that was puzzling the crowd was how had Benfield scored six goals and Paul Brayson had not scored any of them? The Alnwick boys were now down and out but kept battling away and in the 76thminute keeper Sam Bouttell did well to parry away a strong shot from Meeshak Kanda. He was helpless however in the 80thminute to stop Newcastle Benfield getting a seventh goal, a great pass from Dylan McEvoy found Josh Scott who made his way to the goal line before pulling the ball back to PAUL BRAYSON and with a clever dink he lifted a left foot shot over the keeper to make  it 7-1. In the 88th minute Benfield got an eighth goal and it had to be PAUL BRAYSON who again got on the score sheet, after being put clear the Benfield striker attempted to again dink the ball over the Alnwick keeper but Bouttell made a good block but the ball came back to the feet of the Newcastle Benfield striker who blasted the ball into the empty net from two yards making the score 8-1 to Newcastle Benfield. This was the final score with Newcastle Benfield advancing forward to play Liversedge F.C. in the next round at home on the 24thSeptember.
Newcastle Benfield: Grainger, Turnbull, Bakhti, Tobin (Kanda), McNamee, Errington, Baptist, McEvoy (Uddgren), Hudson (Scott), McCarthy (Cornish), Brayson
Substitutes: Busby, Errington
Man of the Match: McEvoy


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s